Built-in 1873, the Central House was home to many occupants including the Goldsmith News Agency, a Chinese laundry, a cigar seller, and a fruit store. However, the Central House is best know for being home to the Salem News for almost 75 years.
The original structure had shiplap siding before being covered with a stucco surface. The building has three floors; the first floor was used as commercial space and the second and third were used by the Salem News.
Winter Street completed exterior and interior renovations to the second and third floors, totaling 7,010 feet. The renovations included seven open layouts, one and two bedroom apartments with new hardwood flooring, granite counters, and exposed ductwork.
Exterior renovations included historically reproduced siding, architectural detailing, and new windows.